Sunday 31 July 2011

Robert Mapplethorpe.












Another exhibition at the FotoGalleriet in Stockholm was a hugely comprehensive exhibition of the complete works of Robert Mapplethorpe. 

I was previously aware of his work, however I did not expect the amount of cock that I saw (and loved.) But more shockingly, and surprisingly, was the utter beauty of his still life work. The use of natural light, and the manipulation of light and form. Mapplethorpe was something who saw beauty in form, seeing beyond what the object actually was. 

I bought one the still life flower photo Posters for my room. Admittedly, Hannah and Katie felt the big black cock would scare off visitors. 

Tragically, like many gay hero's of the 70's and 80's Mapplethorpe dies of AIDS in 1989, leaving behind a legacy of provocative and incredible work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment