Thursday 1 September 2011

painted punk.

I've been meaning to blog about this chick for a while, and now feel behind the times as all the mainstream peeps have beat me to it. But regardless, her originality and talent is worth the delayed praise.

CLAIRE BARROW is a University of Westminster student (what the funk - still a student?!) who found her niche in a saturated clothing and designer market by hand painting old leather jackets. 

And the results are I N C R E D I B L E. 

I think it helps that Claire has a hand at painting, and her artist talent for painting and illustration is clear, however her approach, her use of subject, ranging from referential (Picasso)  to light hearted (My Little Pony) means the leather jackets never feel too serious, too 'punk', and in turn I think it gives her a real point of difference. 

Her fans include Rhianna (BIG fan, has seriously rocked like a different jacket of hers on stage for every set of her LOUD tour) and Jessie J, who have commissioned one off specials. But saying that, all of Claire's jackets are one off. 

Available to buy online from her website. G O C H E CK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment